What a year we have had so far! Last week after going from 25° to 78° all in one week, I was concerned about turning my heat and air back and forth. This week we have had rain, floods, and tornado warnings. Through it all, we have humidity. This got me to thinking, should I invest in a dehumidifier?
If you experience any of the following signs in your home, you might seriously consider a dehumidifier.
- Water stains on the walls or ceilings of your home
- High humidity rooms with poor ventilation or no ventilation (especially in areas like bathrooms that have no windows)
- Frequent condensation on the windows in certain areas of your home
- Small black spots (mold spores) growing on the walls or in areas with high humidity, such as the bathtub or shower
- Must or mildew smells
Anyone who was living in Houston 10 to 20 years ago will remember how awful the mold problem was. It was difficult to get homeowners insurance, and if you got black mold, your family might have gotten sick with allergies, respiratory problems, and severe headaches. No one wants to repeat those trials, and all of this can be prevented with a dehumidifier.
Besides helping to prevent damage to your health and home, there are other benefits of a dehumidifier:
- Dehumidifiers reduce humidity levels, making your home less hospitable to allergens such as dust mites, mold, and mildew.
- It also will help your clothes dry faster and more thoroughly, keep breads and cereals fresh longer, and reduce rust and other damage to your computers and other electrical equipment.
- Dehumidifiers help reduce odors that can accompany mold and mildew in your home—getting rid of that “musty” or “rotting” smell.
- A dehumidifier also lowers energy costs because it helps your air conditioner run more efficiently. When the air in your home is more humid, the A/C must do the function of cooling the air and removing moisture, which means it has to work harder. This also causes your A/C to wear out sooner, which means you will need to replace and repair it more often.
All of these save me money, time, and energy, as well as, benefits my health, protects my home, and improves my overall comfort.